The Speaks Family

The Speaks Family
July 2011

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Mind of a 4 Year Old

As my husband and I have begun to talk to our girls about the little one that's on the way it's amazing the questions and concerns that have arisen from our 4 year old Eden. 
     ~"Dad when you go to the store please pick up bottles and baby food? We don't have any yet."
     ~"Mom, when we have your baby party it should probably be in the spring time. Because since the baby is coming in summer time it will be hot and I don't want you to be getting really too hot for your party, okay?"
     ~"Mom, don't forget when you buy me and Addy Christmas pajamas to get some for the baby, okay?"
     ~"I'm going to feed (him) and rock (him) and even change diapers mom because that's what good sisters do. And if they are stinky I will just hold my breath."


Today I heard Eden in her toy room throwing things around. When I asked he what she was doing she replied, "I'm throwing away all my toys to make room for the baby's nursery". I went in there to find her with a huge trash bag stuffing all her toys in it. She was convinced that the toy room (which is being moved downstairs so that room can be converted to a nursery) is not going to be ready when the baby gets here. I tried explaining to her that we had PLENTY of time to get the nursery ready. She was not convinced. "What if (he) comes early?" she said. 


It's so crazy to me that at her age she feels responsible. She feels the need to make sure that the baby has everything it needs before it arrives even with its arrival date many months away. We have moms and dads that put themselves before their children every day. Parents who find it of a priority to buy cigarettes and fast food than to clothe and feed their unbathed children.  How is it that a 4 year old knows what's important when it comes to taking care of a new baby, and parents to whom that instinct should be completely natural lack it entirely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment