The Speaks Family

The Speaks Family
July 2011

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Learning to Slow Down

Several years ago Matt and I were in a very different place than we are today. We were very involved in the youth group and looking back, it was just the right balance of involvement. The level of commitment still allowed us to have time for one another and our children. Back then I never really thought about it. 


After that season ended for reasons that were completely outside my control, I found it very difficult to get back involved in ministry. I didn't feel like I belonged or fit anywhere. I have a passion for so many things and was just waiting for God to lead me. 


A year ago this month Matt and I went out with a couple from our church for dinner. While there, the gentleman launched a vision for expanding our churches current July 4th celebration and asked for my help. I have always been a planner and it seemed right up my alley. I joined the committee, was involved in planning, secured over 100 give aways for the event and then announced the winners the day of the event (meanwhile I am 38 weeks pregnant). And so it began. I realized how much I loved the planning and the ability to give of myself, my time and my talents to the Lord and to my church. 


By the end of the year I had started co-leading the Mom's Playgroup and Mom's Night Out events, single handedly organized the Christmas Gift and Craft Show and committed to the planning committee for the annual Women's Retreat. Not to mention that I held over 15 events in the month of October for my business. I began to hear, "you're super mom! I don't know how you do it all" As shallow as this sounds I so loved hearing that. It was so nice to be feeling appreciated and as though someone really thought I was so amazing.


By the first of this year everything began to consume me, though I had not yet realized it. I don't tell you this to impress you, only to bring a very real reality to light. As of last week I was involved in or participating in the following committees, ministries etc.


Easter Eggstravaganza Planning Committee
Freedom Celebration Planning Committee (PR and Sponsorship)
Women's Ministries
Impact Expo
MOPS Steering Team
Branding Committee
Mom's Night Out
Mom's Playgroup
Meals for Mom's 
I'm probably leaving some things out and don't forget the others...
Child of God
Wife to one
Mother to Three
Business Owner


About 2 weeks ago everything began crashing down. I had known for some time that I was over-committed and was being pulled in too many directions. My business has been suffering, my house isn't clean, my husband is complaining and to top it off-on the way to Chicago on Saturday Eden called me crying saying that I don't spend any time with her. Broke my heart. 


I began to enjoy serving, ministering and giving of myself so much that I forgot to stop and as myself if I had time to do these things. How would my family be affected if I put one more thing on my plate?? The worst part was loving it all so much that I couldn't decide what to weed out. I am so thankful for the Lord's grace in the times we just don't deserve it. I am thankful that even when we have our own agenda and aren't fully thinking about what he wants, that he is still here to pull us back to reality. 


I don't ever want to love the sound of "you're a super mom" again. There are true super mom's out there and I am not one of them. A few come to mind...


1.) Consuela Parsons who gave up her evening with her 3 children to watch my 3 children to the mix while I got my hair done. A woman whom I have never heard yell at her children and show me what true patience toward a child looks like.
2.) Tami Harmon who is a mother of almost 2 year old triplets. That says it all right there. Actually she is an amazing encouragement to me and is always looking for ways to uplift other women and share the biblical view on a situation. 
3.) Tami Hair a mother of 9 who manages to get all 9 plus herself and a husband out the door and to church 2-3 times a week. I cannot say I could do the same without quitting half way though. She is always put together, never complaining and still has time to head up the new MOPS group at church. 


So the moral of this blog is:
I am not super mom
I need to remember that I don't need to try to be super mom
There are real super mom's out there
Choose your involvements wisely  
Be slow to speak, quick to listen. 

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately it is a lesson we sometimes have to be reminded of. God doesn't call any of us to be super moms, but to be a mom who relies on Him for our strength and callings.
    Just remember all those other groups will be there when your kids are grown, but they do grow up too quickly! Concentrate your energies where God wants you and the others will survive!
    Thank you for the reminder and for the memories of when I was in that exact same spot- although different committees!

    ReplyDelete